Meeting Notes – September 9, 2016
Posted by Mark Brubaker on Sep 09, 2016
- Debbie Lutz invited anyone interested to join she and Susan Robenalt at the Salvation Army kickoff luncheon on Thursday, October 20. They have secured a table sponsorship so please contact them if you are interested in joining.
- Dwight Seeley announced that Sinan Yaykin will be the Polar Bear Golf Open Chairperson assisted by Pete Fuhlbrigge. An event date has not yet been confirmed, but those interested in participating on the planning committee are invited to attend the committee meeting on Friday, September 16, 7am.
- Cindy Groeninger announced that Tuesday on the patio will be held on Tuesday, September 13, 5:30pm, Muirfield Vilage Country Club. All are welcome!
- Sarah Ott is looking for volunteers to support the Dublin Food Pantry. A signup sheet was circulated. Ramona reminded us of the importance of serving those in our own local community and this is a great opportunity. Contact Sarah for more information and details.
- Kent Underwood introduced Gene Oliver as a full member in Dublin AM following the successful completion of all orientation activities. Congratulations Gene!
- Kent also announced that he will be stepping back from his role as the leader of new member orientation and that Amy Snow will step into this role. Kent, as a new member of Dublin AM and on behalf of all of us who were welcomed warmly into the club through your leadership, thank you for your time and being among the first to represent our great club! Amy, thanks for stepping up and best wishes for successful new member orientation.
Lucy Depp Park and the Underground Railroad
We know that Dublin has a rich history which is often recognized in street names and school names. Today, we learned more about contributions made through the Underground Railroad and with whom it all started...drive slowly the next time you are on Harriott Rd. and you will see more detail on historical markers and a beautiful white barn.
Our guest presenters were Gwynn Stetler, Theresa Deering, Zelda McDaniel, and Mike Hamilton. They shared with us the rich history of what is now commemorated by historical markers at Lucy Depp Park. Each of them has a personal connection to this history and have put in an extraordinary amount of effort and time to ensure that its significance is recognized and not forgotten. This Lucy Depp Park link will provide much better information than could be provided in this meeting summary. This Dublin history is an important period of time in our past and another piece of the puzzle that contributes to where Dublin stands today. Everyone is encouraged to visit this site located on Harriott Rd. near Dublin Rd.