Meeting Notes – August 19, 2016
Posted by Harvey Schwartz
- There will not be a September 2 Dublin AM Rotary meeting due to the Labor Day Holiday Weekend ---Wolf Lant
- It was sadly announced that Kimberly Joan Lipovsek, the daughter of Thomas and Joan McGloshen, died on August 12th, following a sudden cerebral hemorrhage. Services were held on August 20th. ---Wolf Lant
- The Veteran’s Honor Flight to Washington D.C. has been scheduled for Sunday, October 2nd.Please share with Dave the names and contact information of Veterans you know who may want to participate in the annual Veteran’s Honor Flight. ---Dave Williamson
- Warren E. Motts is the October 28 Dublin AM Rotary speaker. Mr. Motts is the founder and executive director of the Motts Military Museum. ---Dave Williamson
- Columbus Clippers Baseball Game. Time is running out on registering for the Dublin AM Rotary get together, scheduled for August 28. The event risks being cancelled if not enough Rotarians and guests register. ---
PRESENTATION: Bob Gecewich, Head Football Coach for Dublin Jerome High School---introduced by Dr. Todd Hoadley, Superintendent Dublin City Schools
Coach Gecewich made a strong case and provided descriptive examples of how business principles are applicable to managing a football team. Some of the key points incorporated into his engaging presentation included:
- The value of hard work.
- Working with an expansive number of“shareholders”.
- Developing partnerships (with the community/middle school and youth programs, and others).
- Proactive utilization of public relations, marketing, budgeting and knowing your competition.
- The importance of consistency of culture to lead change and maintain growth.
- Acknowledging obstacles and playing to the strengths of student athletes.
- Continually assessing operations, inventorying the assets, prioritizing and planning for the future.
- Demonstrating that people matter and that as a leader you listen and gather insights from others.