March 10 Meeting Notes
Posted by Mark Brubaker on Mar 10, 2017
Announcements for upcoming events/activities and more than you ever know about Bats - Be Afraid!
Bonnie Miles - Guest Speaker
- Dave Holliday recognized Jack Curtiss for his first and Bonnie Coley-Malir for her second Paul Harris Fellowshiop
- Cindy Groeniger reminded us that the Friday, March 17 meeting will be held at the Blarney Bash tent. Volunteers are needed post-meeting for set up.
- Dave Williamson is looking for a few volunteers today between 4-4:30 (March 10) to help with the delivery of Blarney Bash fencing and placement; it is anticipated that this will only take about 15 minutes of actual work.
- Alan Abouhassan sent an e-mail invitation for a Rotary NCAA tournament bracket at a cost of $20. The easiest way to pay is to be billed by the club, but if you prefer another payment option, please contact Alan.
- Steve Schmidt (Wolf Lant)
- Leslie Raynes (Bonnie Coley-Malir)
- Kurt Hoeft (Nick Glimsdahl)
- Bryan Hill (Rich Weber)
- Frank Dellenschneider (guest in perpetuity)
Speaker: Bonnie Miles - BATS: Be Afraid
- Only mammal with true ability to fly
- 1300+ species world wide on every continent except Antarctica
- 47 species in North America
- 14 species in Ohio
- 70% are insectivores
- vampire bat is the only mammal that survives completely on blood (mostly of birds and livestock)
- Myths debunked
- not blind
- not dirty
- do not attack humans; are actually afraid of them
- less than 0.5% have rabies
- low reproductive rate
- wind turbines
- white nose syndrome (fungal disease with no real treatment)
- starvation and dehydration
- numbers in decline
- consequences for agriculture requiring more pesticides leading to higher cost of goods